Silk & Snow Mattress ReviewWe get a commission from the mattress manufacturer
when you make a purchase through the links or with the coupon code in this post.
For more information view our ratings and disclaimer page.
Just when you thought the mattress-in-a-box market was completely saturated, another one comes along to pour cold water on the theory!
Brand new to the market, the Silk + Snow mattress works on the founding principle that:
A Quality Mattress = Quality Rest[adinserter name=”Link – Responsive – Intro Paragraph”]
While that’s an equation we can certainly stand behind, how well does Silk + Snow do its job of creating the quality mattress that leads to the quality rest?
This Silk + Snow mattress review attempts to answer that question for you. The manufacturer promises “Premium Quality and Homey Comfort”. But, for us, every manufacturer claim is there to be shot down in flames – until we’ve run our Sleep Scouts tests on it and really investigated how good it is.
Read our findings below and judge for yourself whether a little Silk + Snow is what you need to get your ideal night’s rest…
Pricing + Dimensions
- Twin: Price: $575 USD, Dimensions: 39” x 75” x 10”
- Twin XL: Price: $575 USD, Dimensions: 39” x 80” x 10”
- Full: Price: $750 USD, Dimensions: 54” x 75” x 10”
- Queen: Price: $850 USD, Dimensions: 60” x 80” x 10”
- King: Price: $950 USD, Dimensions: 76” x 80” x 10”
- Cal King: Price: $950 USD, Dimensions: 72” x 84” x 10”
What we liked:
- Body Contouring – a nice gentle squeeze as the mattress conforms to the body’s curves
- Medium Firmness – good sink and bounce for universal support and comfort
- Breathability – a cool sleep with good airflow
- Silver-Infused Cover – antimicrobial properties that prevent bacterial growth
- Excellent Motion Transfer – practically non-existent motion transfer means undisturbed sleep even with a restless partner
- Free Shipping & Returns – no hidden costs to inflate the price
- 100-Day Trial Period – peace of mind when you purchase
- 15-Year Warranty – that’s above and beyond the call of duty!
- Minimal Odour – just a little off-gassing that soon dissipates
- Exceptional Customer Service – often makes the difference
What we didn’t like:
- One-Mattress-Fits-All – no option to customize to personal preferences
- Young, Unproven Company – only founded in 2017!
- Inability to Test Before Purchase – no showrooms to try out the product before buying
- No Flipping – designed with a top and bottom side to sit one way. The company recommends rotating it every 3 months and will even send you a reminder email (what a great idea!)
- Lack of Edge Support – the edges and corners are structurally weaker than standard spring-style mattresses
- No Side Straps – lack of handles makes it a little more difficult to move
About the Manufacturer
Founded in 2017, Silk + Snow started with a group of friends who saw an opportunity to produce a perfect mattress: one that focused on small details and quality materials.
It was to provide supreme sink and bounce, reduce pressure points, and offer the ‘cleanest sleep possible’.
16 months in the making and multiple designs later, the group was ready to bring its mattress to life. Enter Kickstarter, the crowd-funding campaign that allowed Silk + Snow to go from dream to reality.
Sold exclusively online, the makers of Silk + Snow are able to keep costs to a minimum as they don’t have contend with the enormous overheads that come with traditional brick and mortar stores.
Their high-quality, thoughtful product comes in at a competitive price point as it is ordered direct from the manufacturer.
Manufactured in North America, there are no showrooms available to try out the product beforehand. However, the 100-night trial period, free delivery, no-hassle returns and a 15-year limited warranty should minimize any hesitations that blind purchasing a mattress online entails.
If you’re wondering what’s in the name: silk represents the luxury component of the mattress and snow represents the company’s North American roots.
We are suckers for a good name and back story!
How We Put the Mattress to the Test
As already mentioned, at Sleep Scouts we never take manufacturer claims at face value. We test them – and that’s what we base all of our reviews on.
Every mattress we review is subject to the same process. For those of you not yet familiar with this process, you can check it out here.
One of the key elements is that we believe that two sleepers are better than one and that different body sizes (one a 120lb female, the other a 215lb male) experience mattresses differently.
In this way, you get the most accurate, all-round perspective possible. It also helps you make a more-informed decision when it comes to purchasing a mattress that will best suit your personal preferences.
For the results on the Silk + Snow mattress, keep on reading.
The Basics: An Overview
First Observations: The Unboxing Experience
The box is simple, nothing fancy. Just the logo and the standard blue ‘sleep colour’ that we’ve come to expect from mattresses purchased online. We’ve even grown quite fond of it.
Similar to other online mattresses, Silk + Snow comes compressed and vacuum-sealed.
But unlike some other mattresses, no marketing package was included – nor instructions for set-up and care.
While this information can be found online (which saves on paper and is therefore environmentally more appealing), the company might want to take a cue from some of their competitors, who use the inside of the box or flaps for care instructions, etc.
As soon as you break the seal, the mattress begins to take shape: perfect, since a new mattress is a clear excuse to take a mid-day nap, right? Then again, who needs an excuse?!
As with most foam mattresses, you can expect a little off gassing; nothing terribly unpleasant and it dissipates pretty quickly.
And just like that, you’re all set for a great sleep – or at least that nap you promised yourself!
What goes into making a mattress that offers “premium quality and homey comfort?”
The Silk + Snow mattress is comprised of three layers, plus its cover…
The mattress is 10-inches in height and consists of the following:
- Layer 1: Ultra-Dense Supportive Memory Foam (2 Inches): claimed to be ‘13x better than conventional memory foam’ and ‘16x better than latex’, this layer offers cooling qualities and adapts to your body’s contours for optimal comfort.
- Layer 2: Ultra-Dense Responsive Memory Foam (2 Inches): this transitional layer offers bounce and spring but with a focus on support, pressure relief, and motion isolation to help you achieve the best possible rest.
- Layer 3: Premium Support Foam (6 Inches): this is the foundation layer of the mattress, providing the strength and structure for the layers above to work properly
- The Cover: a polyester/spandex/silver-infused blend; it is a machine-washable zipper cover that is luxurious to the touch, while also offering breathable qualities to ensure a cool night’s sleep. The innovative antimicrobial fabric helps to prevent growth of unwanted bacteria, providing the ‘cleanest’ sleep possible.
How Did the Key Features Measure Up?
The Silk + Snow company is confident that it has produced a mattress that will offer the best quality sleep possible.
But is it right for you? That will depend on a number of factors…
The following information and images detail the results of our first tests, which use a 25lb kettlebell to measure sinkage on three different parts of the mattress:
- Centre: 3.5” sinkage: this demonstrates the average level of sinkage that would be expected for a mattress claiming to be ‘medium firm’.
- Top Centre: 3.5” sinkage: again, average sinkage, in line with what would be expected for a mattress claiming to be of medium firmness.
- Corner: 3.75” sinkage: slightly above average sinkage at the sides, again as expected for a mattress claiming medium firmness.
The Silk + Snow mattress has an overall firmness rating of 6.
It is a suitable choice for individuals who prefer a mattress that sits on the medium side of the firmness sleep spectrum.
Our sleep scouts found that the properties of the foam in this mattress are well suited to individuals who sleep with a partner. Motion transfer was isolated and absorbed, with little to no disturbance.
It also offers a great balance of bounce, support, and pressure relief.
SUMMARY OF SLEEPING POSITIONS:
- Back sleeping: this mattress will keep your spine aligned and relieve pressure, making for a great night’s sleep on your back.
- Side sleeping: one of the most comfortable sleeping positions for this mattress, as it contours to your body with a gentle ‘squeeze’ as it keeps you supported.
- Stomach sleeping: this mattress is well-suited to stomach sleeping. You will benefit from the spinal alignment support, which is essential when lying face down.
- Sitting: there is a noticeable sinking feeling when sitting on the edge of the mattress. We’ve come to expect from foam mattresses. A simple adjustment by sitting further back is an easy solution to this minor problem.
Sleeping hot is a traditional complaint with memory foam mattresses.
However, Silk + Snow’s design integrates a top layer that gives ‘13 times faster’ heat reduction, so that you remain cool and enjoy optimal sleeping temperature for a comfortable night’s sleep. This was suitably backed up by our sleeping experience – no sleeping hot at all.
With the soft fabric cover being so thin, it also aids in the mattress’s overall breathability.
Motion transfer on the Silk + Snow is non-existent. This means that, despite your partner’s restlessness, you will feel zero disturbance. That aids in getting a peaceful night’s rest and the feeling that you have the bed all to yourself!
Cards on the table time: Silk + Snow is the youngest mattress that we’ve tested to date.
It was launched just this year, which means that its footprint in the online mattress market is limited at present, making durability an almost impossible aspect to assess.
This, in conjunction with our short 30-day trial period, allows us to draw very limited conclusions on how the product will age over the years.
That said, we do know that top quality materials are used in the mattress and the generous 15-year warranty should appease most sceptics. We’d expect the mattress to continue to provide quality sleep night after night for many years.
As with the other foam mattresses we’ve reviewed on this site, the Silk + Snow is structurally weaker than coil or spring mattress options.
This results in a feeling that if you’re too close to the edge, you’re less than optimally supported and you may roll off. However, by sleeping closer to the middle of the bed, this sensation is greatly reduced.
The Sleep Scouts Standout Feature:
A high-quality mattress using ‘clean’ sleep technology and offering a universally luxurious comfort that will have you looking forward to bedtime.
When sleeps feel this good, you’ll find any excuse to nap.
The Silk + Snow mattress is well suited to virtually all sleepers and all sleep positions. It can truly claim to be a great ‘universal fit’. It offers luxurious comfort that will have you looking forward to bed time.
You’ll love the pressure relief it provides, as well as its cooling comfort and hygienic qualities, and its great balance of sink and bounce.
Bottom Line: Who Should Buy This Mattress?
Despite being the youngest player in the online mattress market, doing their homework seems to have paid off for the Silk + Snow team.
They have delivered a quality mattress or, to put it in their own words, helped many people find their own ‘sleep spot’.
From our experience, this mattress affords you a great night’s sleep at a very affordable price point.
It is best suited to individuals in search of medium firmness in their mattress, with pressure point relief and a cool, clean, comfortable feel.
If you prefer ultra-plush or an ultra-firm feel in your mattress, your money might be better spent on a mattress that you can personalize.
We think that this mattress is pretty close to a ‘universal fit’ and will suit the majority of people. The ‘comfort for every body’ that the company promises is not too far wide of the mark.
With the no-hassle purchasing experience, 100-day night trial period, and easy return policy (see below in the FAQs), there are few excuses NOT to try this mattress.
Frequently Asked Questions
Silk + Snow warrants each mattress against any defects in workmanship or materials for a period of 15 years. During the warranty period, if your mattress is found defective due to faulty workmanship or materials, it will be repaired or replaced according to the terms below:
- Your Silk + Snow mattress has a 15 year limited warranty from the day of your delivery of your mattress.
- The warranty is only valid for a mattress that is set-up on an adequate foundation or bed frame.
- If, despite normal usage and proper handling, your Silk + Snow mattress forms permanent indentations of more than 1 inches when no weight is on top of it, it will be replaced, at your option, according to the terms below.
- Silk + Snow will repair or replace any manufacturing defect of the mattress cover.
- Silk + Snow will require purchaser to show supporting documents (i.e. pictures) when processing a claim
Duration and Validity
Your Silk + Snow mattress has a 15 year limited warranty from the day of your delivery of your mattress. For 15 years when you have a defect on your mattress, covered under the warranty, we will replace it or repair it. Your Silk + Snow mattress will be repaired or replaced at no additional cost within the first ten years of usage, and at a cost of 75% of the original purchase price between the eleventh and fifteenth year.
This warranty is valid on for the original purchaser from the original purchase date of the original mattress purchased from Silk + Snow Inc. and is non-transferable. If the original purchaser sells or otherwise relinquishes ownership of the mattress to another, the subsequent owner accepts the product “ as is” and “with all faults.” The law tags must not be removed from the product because it identifies the warranties outline herein.
Moreover, our 100 Night Guarantee and 15 Year Limited Warranty are both voided once the Silk + Snow mattress leaves the country in which it was originally purchased.
- Deterioration of the mattress where a visible permanent indentation of greater than one (1) inches that is not associated with an indentation or sag as a result of the use of an improper or unsupportive foundation.
- Any physical flaw in the craftsmanship of the mattress that causes permanent damage to the memory foam despite proper set-up and normal use.
- Any manufacturing defect in the zipper assembly or fabrics of the mattress cover.
- A normal increase in softness of the memory foam which can occur during normal use.
- Personal comfort preferences.
- Body indentation of less than one (1) inch.
- Physical abuse or damage to the structure and/or cover material, including but not limited to, burns, cuts, tears, liquid damage + stains, or soiling.
- Damage from using an improper bed frame, foundation, or platform bed.
- Non-compliance of washing instructions and handling for the cover resulting in damage to the cover or zipper.
- Height of bed due to purchaser’s bed frame or headboard
- Fitting of bed sheet.
- Replacement of an accompanying Silk + Snow product where only one piece is defective, unless that the other piece is also defective.
- Product sold by re-sellers who are not authorized retailers.
- Product sold “as-is”, “preconditioned”, “reconditioned”, “used”, “comfort return”, “returned”, “previously owned”, or any other similar wording indicating that the product is not “new” or of “first quality”, or has previously been purchased or used by another consumer.
- Some degree of variation of the Silk + Snow product is to be expected. Imperfections that do not prevent ordinary comfort and use of the product are not considered to be defective (i.e. surfaces may not be perfectly even, and corners may not be perfectly shaped or symmetrical. These conditions and any other conditions of a similar nature are not considered to be defects for which customers can seek any remedy under the warranty).
Silk + Snow makes no medical or health claims regarding its Products. Allergies, discomfort, or other conditions, are not covered under this Agreement nor Warranty. Any questions or concerns regarding medical or health conditions should be addressed by a licensed physician.
Silk + Snow offers a generous 100-night risk free trial period for testing the new mattress.
If, after the 100 nights, you decide it’s “just not right,” the company will gladly help you return it and offer you a full refund with no additional effort or cost on your behalf.
This helps to mitigate the element of ‘risk’ that blind purchasing a mattress online entails.
- Twin: 20” x 20” x 43”, 50lbs
- Twin XL: 20” x 20” x 43”, 56lbs
- Full: 20” x 20” x 43”, 70lbs
- Queen: 20” x 20” x 43”, 85lbs
- King: 20” x 20” x 43”, 106lbs
- Cal King: 20” x 20” x 43”, 105lbs
Coupons & Discounts
- $100 off all mattress to the first 500 customers
- General information – https://www.silkandsnow.com
- Delivery information – https://www.silkandsnow.com/faqs/
- Warranty information – https://www.silkandsnow.com/our-warranty/
- FAQs information – https://www.silkandsnow.com/faqs/
Silk & Snow Mattress Review