Soothing. Calming. Relaxing.
These are not only the key principles behind the practice of yoga but also what any individual hopes to achieve from a night’s sleep.
It’s with this foundation (mattress pun intended) that the Yogabed was born. This is a luxury foam mattress designed to optimally support the body, while reducing pressure points and dispersing weight evenly to ensure a cool, supportive sleep.
In this much, it has similar goals to any other high quality mattress available online; but what does the Yogabed do especially well? What, if anything, makes it stand out from the others?
That’s what this Yogabed mattress review sets out to discover. We’ve done all the research and the testing and present the results below for you to decide if it’s the right mattress for you…
Pricing & Dimensions
- Twin: Price: $574 USD, Dimensions: 38” x 75” x 10”
- Twin XL: Price: $624 USD, Dimensions: 38” x 80” x 10”
- Full: Price: $824 USD, Dimensions: 53” x 75” x 10”
- Queen: Price: $874 USD, Dimensions: 60” x 80” x 10”
- King: Price: $974 USD, Dimensions: 76” x 80” x 10”
- Cal King: Price: $974 USD, Dimensions: 72” x 84” x 10”
What we liked:
- Free Shipping – no hidden extra costs
- Charitable Efforts – for every 10 beds sold they donate one to charity
- Financing Option Available – makes paying for it a little easier
- Prorated 10-Year Warranty – for extra peace of mind
- Removable Zip-n-Wash Cover – for easy maintenance
- Minimal Off-Gassing – makes unpacking a new mattress more pleasant
- Uses CertiPUS-US Components – for a guarantee of quality
What we didn’t like:
- Inability to Test Before Purchase – the Yogabed is strictly sold online
- Lack of Longevity in the Market – company started up only in January 2015
- No Side Straps to Aid Movement – as with most of the mattresses sold online
- No Flipping – this mattress is designed to sit one way only
About the Manufacturer
Launched in January 2015, the Yogabed mattress is exclusively sold online. Backed by 40 years of industry experience, it was inspired by the pressure-relieving and relaxing qualities of yoga. Utilizing advanced technologies in its Yoga Comfort System, the team behind this mattress ensured that their design incorporated the best comfort and support features of memory foam, minus the drawbacks sometimes associated with it.
This is what the company founders say:
“We know there are many people who don’t do yoga, and Yogabed is about much more than the practice of yoga. It’s about feeling great and refreshed after a good night’s sleep.
The mattress is manufactured in Indiana and engineered to evenly disperse weight and reduce pressure points, while allowing for an overall cool and comfortable sleep.
The founders of Yogabed keep costs as low as possible by avoiding having to contend with the high overheads associated with traditional brick and mortar stores. By focusing simply on a quality product sold online at an affordable price, its “20,000 customers” are comfortable dealing directly with the manufacturer…and love the cost savings that result.
Because there are no showrooms to ‘test-drive’ the product, a 101-night risk free trial period and a 10-year limited warranty help to offset hesitations people may have with purchasing online.
“…a better bed will give you a better night’s sleep, and quality has a great deal to do with that. We’ve developed a mattress, made here in the USA with the highest quality materials and thoughtfulness, to provide years of great sleep. “
How We Put the Mattress to the Test
The foundation of Sleep Scouts is our trusted test methods. Each mattress is put through the same process. We believe that two sleepers are better than one, and different sizes (one being a 120lb female, the other being a 215lb male) offer different perspectives, giving our readers the most accurate information possible.
We reviewed the Yogabed with this approach, helping you make an informed decision when it comes to purchasing a mattress that will best suit your personal preferences.
You can read more detail about the tests we conduct here. For the results with the Yogabed, keep on reading.
The Basics: An Overview
First Observations: The Unboxing Experience
The box itself is simple, but we like simple: a clean, yoga-inspired logo with some thoughtful quotes reminding you to replenish your body, quiet your mind, and nourish your soul. We all need a few reminders about this from time to time, don’t we?
Like other online mattresses, the Yogabed arrives compressed and vacuum-sealed. Instructions for set-up can be found in the leaflet provided.
As soon as you break the seal, the mattress begins to take shape. With most other mattresses sold online, that’s it. But with the Yogabed there is an exciting twist! We suddenly realised that there were two bonus memory foam pillows provided! Remember how excited we get about surprises?
As with most foam mattresses you can expect a little off gassing from the Yogabed but nothing terribly unpleasant and it dissipates pretty quickly.
What’s in the Box?
You already know about the compressed mattress, the two bonus pillows, and the instructions leaflet. That’s what’s in the box!
You’re probably wondering what exactly goes into 10 inches of handcrafted mattress luxury that’s intended to replenish the body, quiet the mind, and nourish the soul.
The Yoga Comfort System is built on four core elements:
- Layer 1: Instant Response YogaFoam (1 Inch): this layer reacts to pressure, allowing for supportive comfort. It exhibits the qualities of memory foam, latex foam, and gel foam in one unique layer.
- Layer 2: YogaGel Cooling Memory Foam (2 Inches): intended to evenly disperse impact, this layer is said to have seven times greater thermal conductivity than with traditional mattresses. This helps to keep things cool and comfortable.
- Layer 3: Breathable High Density Foam Base (5 Inches): naturally cool and responsive, the base is intended to provide structure to the layers above while still offering good airflow, with heat and moisture wicking.
- Layer 4 – Super Support Foam Base (2 Inches): the foundation layer of the mattress offering strength, durability, and structure.
- Cover: This is a machine-washable ‘Zip-n-Wash’ cover, aesthetically pleasing and easy to remove and replace. Its breathable qualities allow for a cool night’s rest thanks to the ‘thermocool’ fibres, while it also said to block out allergens and dust mites.
How did the key features measure up?
The Yogabed company seems certain that it’s developed a superior sleep product that delights the customers it serves. But is it right for you?
The following information and images detail the results of our first tests, which use a 25lb kettlebell to measure sinkage on three different parts of the mattress:
- Centre: 3.25” sinkage: this demonstrates average sinkage, as would be expected for a mattress claiming to be medium firm.
- Top Centre: 3.25” sinkage: again, average sinkage, as would be expected for a mattress claiming to be medium-firm.
- Corner: 3.5” sinkage: slightly above average sinkage at the sides, again as expected for a mattress claiming to be medium-firm.
In summary, our kettlebell tests result in an overall firmness level of 7/10. This perfectly reflects a mattress that is said to be medium-firm and should suit individuals with a preference for this type of mattress.
Summary of Sleeping Positions
- Back sleeping: this mattress is supportive enough for this position, offering spinal alignment and pressure relief for a comfortable night’s sleep.
- Side sleeping: a gentle hug that offers the right amount of body-conforming comfort for this position.
- Stomach sleeping: this mattress is well-suited for sleeping on the stomach, with a medium-firm feel that supports the spine when lying face down.
- Sitting: it exhibits a slight ‘sinking feeling’ when sitting right on the edge, as we’ve come to expect from foam mattresses; but nothing overly offensive and sitting back a little more mitigates the problem.
Many people talk of the downside of memory foam as ‘sleeping hot’. The Yogabed addresses this by using cooling components in combination with the memory foam.
Firstly, the YogaGel Cooling Memory Foam layer helps the mattress remain cool and comfortable. The addition of the air ventilation channels punched through the mattress every two inches also provides extra comfort and allows for excellent airflow circulation.
This is topped off with a soft fabric cover that is thin and light, aiding in the overall cool feel of the Yogabed.
We are happy to report that motion transfer on the Yogabed was non-existent. This makes it great for couples. No disturbance was felt by movement from one of the sleeping partners, resulting in a restful night’s sleep – even if one partner isn’t so restful!
It’s true that the Yogabed is relatively young in comparison to some of the more established competition. That said, many of the high quality online mattresses suffer from the same problem.
The data on long-term use is clearly limited at this time, so predicting durability is a little tricky. What we do know is that the lifespan of a high quality mattress should typically range between 5-10 years. We only tested this mattress for around 30 days, so there’s no escaping the fact that it’s difficult to confirm how this product will perform over the years.
However, the high quality materials and the generous 10-year warranty should put most readers’ minds at ease that this mattress will stand up to the task of providing great sleep for many years to come.
The edge support on the Yogabed falls in line with other foam mattresses. The fact is that that they are simply structurally weaker than coil or spring options.
We have experienced mattresses where, if you get too close to the edge, the support is so inadequate that you feel as though you are about to roll off. This mattress isn’t that bad in this respect – and changing your position so that you are closer to the middle of the bed minimizes any sinking sensations.
The Sleep Scouts Standout Feature
A quality mattress that sleeps cool, while offering supportive pressure relief to minimize tossing and turning.
The four-layer Yoga Comfort System built into every Yogabed is well-suited for almost all sleepers and all sleep positions.
You will find that, in addition to the relief it provides to pressure points, you will be comfortably supported and remain cool as the system adjusts to your body temperature and wicks away moisture.
Bottom Line: Who Should Buy this Mattress?
The decades of mattress-making experience (40 years) that have gone into creating the Yogabed have seemingly paid off. Yogabed delivers a superior sleep product that uses quality materials to afford the peaceful nights’ rest that everyone craves. What’s more, they provide it an affordable price point.
This mattress is ideal for individuals who prefer a mattress on the medium-firm side and for whom relief from pressure points and mattress coolness are important factors (that probably includes most of you).
If you are after a very firm mattress, or would prefer one that you can personalize to your own specifications, then you’ll want to search out other options. However, we’re pretty confident that the Yogabed is suited to the majority of sleepers out there.
The no-hassle purchasing experience, coupled with the unmatched trial period and easy returns policy means that there really is no downside to trying this mattress out.
Final say: Sleep Scout approved!
It’s always refreshing to find a company that prides itself on giving back to the community it serves. In addition to donating one mattress for every ten sold, Yogabed has set up a fundraising campaign to help raise money for community groups.
Side by Side Fundraising is a fun and profitable way to help you raise money for schools, charities, churches, social groups and other not-for-profit organizations. The program provides you with a unique discount code to share with your friends, family, and supporters. Then, for every mattress purchased, Yogabed will donate $100 back to you. Win, win!
The Yogabed mattress is covered by a prorated 10-year limited warranty. This applies to any of the standard defects and deteriorations that do not result from improper use or handing.
The conditions of the warranty are as follows:
- The warranty is not transferable and can only be claimed by the original purchaser of a mattress who remains in possession of said mattress at the time of a claim under the warranty;
- The customer must have purchased the mattress from www.yogabed.com or an authorized Yogabed dealer;
- The mattress must be registered at www.yogabed.com;
- The defects complained of by the customer must concern materials or workmanship of the product purchased;
- The defects must not have resulted from use of the mattress outside its intended purpose or from normal wear and tear and proper handling; for example:
- a visible indentation or sag greater than one (1) inch in the foam material, meaning an indentation that is visible when no weight is applied to the top of the Product.; (b) any physical flaw in the foam material that causes it to split or crack; or (c) any manufacturing defect in the mattress cover such as fabric tearing or stitching unraveling;
- All mattresses must be opened, installed, and cleaned in accordance with the care and use instructions included with the mattress upon delivery;
- Any repair or replacement will not extend the original period of limited warranty, nor will it constitute the beginning of a new limited warranty period; and
- The customer must advise Yogabed Customer Service of its warranty claim by email at [email protected] and provide the information required under these terms and conditions.
What the warranty does not cover:
- This warranty does not apply to changes to the mattress caused by, or the result of, normal wear and tear, nor changes caused by, or resulting from, circumstances or uses that go beyond the intended use of a mattress, namely, reclining and sleeping.
- Every Yogabed mattress is crafted individually. Some degree of variation of the finished product is an inherent part of that product and is to be expected. Imperfections that do not prevent ordinary use and enjoyment of the product are not considered to be defects. For example, surfaces may not be perfectly even, and corners may not be perfectly shaped or symmetrical. These conditions and any other conditions of a similar nature are not considered to be defects for which customers can seek any remedy under the warranties described herein.
- Yogabed mattresses are designed to work on a firm, solid-surface, on a bed base (e.g., a frame or platform) that is structurally capable of supporting the weight of the mattress and user upon it. This warranty does not cover the product if its use is in a manner incompatible with the use for which the design was intended. The Yogabed Mattress is intended to be used on a foundation with a center support that has at least 5 to 6 support legs in the case of a queen, king and cal king or with 4 support legs for twin, twin XL, and full mattresses. For queen, king, and cal king slatted-style bed frames, it is incumbent upon the customer to ensure the frame utilized offers ample structural support for the mattress and foundation in view of the particular slatted-style frame.
- This warranty specifically excludes: (a) minor imperfections and cosmetic flaws; (b) normal wear and tear; (c) tears, stains, soiling, burns, and discoloration that occur over time; (d) dampness or mold; (e) individual or personalized preferences relating to firmness, texture, comfort, etc.; (f) normal body impressions not greater than 1” in the mattress as measured below the quilt level. The settling of quilt fibers is to be expected and is not considered a defect; (g) individual or personalized allergies and sensitivities; (h) naturally occurring cotton or foam aromas; (i) a normal increase in softness of the YogaFoam and foam pressure-relieving material which does not affect the pressure-relieving qualities of the mattress.
- In addition, this warranty does not cover conditions resulting from abusive handling, misuse, or neglect. Accordingly, the following circumstances, if discovered upon inspection, will render the warranty void: (a) any unsanitary condition; (b) burns; (c) use of the mattress on an improper or non-suitable bed frame; (d) physical abuse to the product; (e) any attempt to clean the product in an inappropriate manner; and (f) improper storage of the product, including but not limited to: storage in a damp location(s), the presence or evidence of insects or rodents, or damage from any other unprotected storage area(s); (g) purchase from resellers who are not authorized retailers.
Yogabed provides one of the most generous returns policy around: a 101-night money-back guarantee. If, after a year, you are unsatisfied with the mattress, Yogabed will refund 100% of the total cost paid and will arrange for a pick-up of the mattress at no additional charge to the customer.
That’s about as ‘risk-free’ as you can get!
- Twin: 42” x 15” x 15”
- Twin XL: 42” x 15” x 15”
- Full: 42” x 15” x 15”
- Queen: 42” x 19” x 19”
- King: 42” x 19” x 19”
- Cal King: 42” x 19” x 19”
Frequently Asked Questions
- Where do they deliver: Yogabed delivers to Continental USA.
- Price of shipping: Shipping is free on all orders of the Yogabed mattress.
- How long does it take to arrive: Orders typically ship in two business days after receipt, via FedEx Ground.
- Who removes the old mattress: Yogabed does not presently provide a mattress-removal service. However, providing your mattress is not in poor condition, you may be able to schedule a pick up with the Salvation Army. Your city may also provide bulk recycling pick-up. Don’t forget local churches or homeless shelters, which are also good alternatives.
Coupons & Discounts
- $100 off all mattress, two free pillows, and $25 off accessories.
- General information – https://www.yogabed.com
- Delivery information – https://www.yogabed.com/pages/shipping-returns
- Warranty information – https://www.yogabed.com/pages/terms-conditions
- FAQs information – https://www.yogabed.com/blogs/faq
- Side by Side Fundraising – https://www.yogabed.com/pages/fundraising-form
The following ratings cover our own assessment of the product and the company, and also provide a guideline for key third-party ratings for the product.
Yogabed Mattress Review