A love of sleep and a fear of mattress retail stores: those are the simple concepts behind the foundation of Loom & Leaf.
After the success of the Saatva innerspring mattress (which the company rather cleverly calls ‘the top 5 innerspring mattresses in one mattress’) Saatva decided it wasn’t too much to ask to offer the same with a memory foam mattress: the best night’s sleep on a luxury mattress without the costs, drama, and hassle of shopping in retail stores.
While 2011 may seem only a short time ago, in terms of selling mattresses exclusively online and bypassing the retail store, Saatva is one of the longer-serving brands. It released its Loom & Leaf mattress in 2015, designed as an eco-friendly foam mattress providing contouring and support during sleep, at the same time remaining cool and breathable.
With two comfort levels to choose from depending on your own personal sleep preference, each mattress is designed for ‘maximum sleep wellness.’
How well does the Loom & Leaf live up to that promise? That’s what the following review is all about…
Pricing & Dimensions
- Twin: Price: $699 USD, Dimensions: 38” x 75” x 12”
- Twin XL: Price: $749 USD, Dimensions: 38” x 80” x 12”
- Full: Price: $949 USD, Dimensions: 54” x 75” x 12”
- Queen: Price: $999 USD, Dimensions: 60” x 80” x 12”
- King: Price: $1399 USD, Dimensions: 76” x 80” x 12”
- Cal King: Price: $1399 USD, Dimensions: 72” x 84” x 12”
What we liked:
- Two Mattresses To Choose From: depending on your sleep preference, you can choose relaxed firm or firm
- 120-Day Trial Period: for extra peace of mind when you purchase
- 15-Year Limited Warranty: above and beyond what its main competitors offer
- No Odor: the foam is ‘ship stable’ (not shrink-wrapped) so any off-gassing happens in the production process before construction and not in your home.
- Mattress Professionals Set It Up: there is no un-boxing or lifting required
- Mattress Removal Is Offered: for a minimal fee
- High Quality Materials That Help You To Sleep Cool: as well as providing comfort and support, the top-quality memory foam is infused with gel for a cooling night’s sleep
- Exceptional Customer Service: they even email to say ‘thank you’
- Side Straps Aid Ease Of Movement: another differentiator from its main competitors
- Environmental Commitment: to creating a smaller carbon footprint, with the company a member of the Sustainable Furnishings Council
What we didn’t like:
- Inability To Test Before Purchase: all mattresses are strictly sold online
- No Flipping: the mattress is designed to sit one way, with a definite top and bottom side
- Delivery Fees: these range from approximately $49 – $99
- More Expensive: compared to the main online competition
About the Manufacturer
Saatva is arguably the best-reviewed mattress company on the internet. Launched in 2011, they made their name with an innerspring mattress, before releasing the Loom & Leaf memory foam option four years later.
Based out of Westport, CT and Austin, TX, all mattresses are American-crafted. The company’s stated commitment to implementing sleep technologies to relieve pressure points, improve circulation and energize active bodies is one side of the story; the other side is the actual shopping experience, which is simple, fully transparent, risk-free, and exclusively online.
With no brick and mortar retail stores, no showrooms, and the production of only two types of mattresses, overheads are lowered and cost savings passed on to customers via the mattress prices.
The 120-night trial period makes up for the lack of ability to test mattresses, while the company also distinguishes itself from competitors and adds peace of mind to the buying experience by providing two options for mattress firmness levels, offering set-up on delivery, providing a no-hassle returns policy, and delivering exceptional customer care.
What does the Loom & Leaf offer that other mattress companies don’t?
“Every other mattress start-up follows the ‘bed in a box’ model. This requires the mattress to be vacuum-sealed and sent to the customer via UPS or Fed-ex. In fact this is a much easier approach. But boxing creates issues with off-gassing, foam selection, weight, and thickness. State of the art technologies, such as new types of cooling layers, are tough to incorporate. So the customer must make a quality sacrifice when buying this type of product. With L&L there are no product limitations, and we are free to directly challenge high-end companies like Tempur-Pedic.”
Co-founder, Ricky Joshi
What’s in a name?
Co-founders Ron Rudzin and Ricky Joshi chose the company name from the Sanskrit word for “pure”, which is “sattva”.
The name of the mattress itself, Loom & Leaf, is derived from the eco-conscious approach that goes into producing the mattresses, coupled with the plant-based products used in the foam (more about that below in the ‘Materials’ section).
How We Put the Mattress to the Test
The foundation of all Sleep Scouts reviews is our trusted test methods. We put all mattresses through the same testing process, which you can read more about here.
We believe that two sleepers are better than one, and different sizes (one a 120lb female, the other a 215lb male) offer different perspectives, giving our readers the most accurate information possible. This will help you make a fully informed decision when it comes to purchasing a mattress to suit your preferences.
For the results of our testing on the Loom & Leaf, keep on reading.
The Basics: An Overview
First Observations: The NON-Unpacking Experience!
Unlike ALL of the mattresses we have previously purchased online and reviewed on Sleep Scouts, there is zero unpacking required with the Loom & Leaf.
This mattress doesn’t arrive at the doorstep vacuum-sealed in a small box. Instead, it’s delivered to your door and set up in your home by mattress professionals. The only thing you have to do is decide on which sleeping position to choose once it’s in place!
Because there is no box, there are no printed materials, which is in line with the eco-friendly initiative the company stands behind.
Another benefit of the mattress arriving without a box is that is ‘shipped stable.’ All foams are sourced in the U.S. and stable by the time they leave the supplier, ensuring that all off-gassing is done prior to reaching your home.
As well as being the only mattress that is shipped without a box, the Loom & Leaf is also the only mattress we have reviewed with side straps – a little ironic, this, as there are professional people to help you set it up, unlike the other, strapless mattresses, which we had to move ourselves! Thanks anyway, Loom & Leaf; we were wondering if we’d ever see straps again!
So what’s in the mattress to help it contour to the curves of the body and support different sleep positions and body weights? And what exactly goes into 12-inches of handcrafted mattress luxury?
There are FIVE key components in every Loom & Leaf mattress. Built using progressive layer technology, four layers of foam are cloaked in an organic cotton cover.
Following are the specifics about each Loom & Leaf layer:
- Quilted Woven Cover: the organic cotton circular knit top is quilted with ⅝-inch foam, hypoallergenic, and flame retardant using natural thistle. This allows for airflow and breathability while retaining a soft texture with thoughtful embroidered details throughout.
- Layer 1: Enhanced Conforming & Cooling Gel Foam (2 Inches): this gel-on-gel design memory foam layer provides a cooling and supportive sleep, thanks to its 4-lb convoluted “gel-swirl” construction. The inverted foam tip design allows for breathability and airflow circulation and the cooling gel spinal panel is laminated to help maintain a cool zone, while offering spinal support.
- Layer 2: Visco-Elastic Memory Foam (2.5 Inches): a layer of plant-based 5lb memory foam that is the ‘heart’ of the mattress, allowing for deep contouring support.
- Layer 3: Transition Loft Pad (2 Inches): working vertically, this layer provides a transition between the comfort foam layers above and the support layers below. It has both conforming properties and support qualities.
- Layer 4: Support Base (5.5 Inches): High-density foam layer, which is the foundation of the mattress and supports the layers above it.
More choice: Two comfort levels to choose from…
As mentioned, the Loom & Leaf offers a choice that you don’t get with the other online mattresses we have reviewed so far.
Saatva still eliminates extremes, such as extra firm and extra soft, but you get the choice between two firmness levels in the most popular mid-level range:
- Loom & Leaf Relaxed Firm: this is their flagship comfort level – supposedly hitting the ‘sweet spot’ between not-too-hard and not-too-soft and suitable for side, back, and stomach sleepers. (Note: this is the version of the mattress we reviewed in the tests below)
- Loom & Leaf Firm: designed for people who prefer a firmer feel, or who enjoy back or stomach sleeping.
Source: Loom & Leaf Comfort Levels
How did the key features measure up?
This is where we tested Loom & Leaf’s confidence that they’ve found the sleep “sweet spot” in their relaxed-firm mattress (the version we tested).
From its supportive spinal alignment to the body-conforming qualities we’ve come to expect from high-quality memory foam, the mattress is certainly designed to sleep cool and comfortable, regardless of sleep position.
The following information and images detail the results of our tests, using our 25 lb kettlebell to measure sinkage on three different parts of the mattress:
- Middle: 3.25” sinkage: this demonstrates the average sinkage that would be expected for a mattress claiming medium-firm sink.
- Middle top: 3.25” sinkage: again, this is average sinkage that would be expected for a mattress claiming to be medium-firm sink.
- Corner: 3.5” sinkage: slightly above average sinkage in this area, again in keeping with a mattress claiming medium-firm sink.
Note: the above shows identical sinkage results to the Tuft & Needle mattress, although overall it has a slightly firmer feel, in our opinion.
Our kettlebell tests result in an overall firmness of 6.5-7.5/10. This makes the Loom & Leaf ‘relaxed firm’ mattress a suitable choice for individuals who prefer the medium-firm side of the mattress spectrum.
Summary of sleeping positions
- Back Sleeping: this mattress is well supported for this sleeping position, with spinal alignment and pressure relief making for comfortable, supportive rest.
- Side Sleeping: a nice subtle hug, while offering pressure relief and body-conforming comfort.
- Stomach Sleeping: it is well-suited for sleeping on the stomach, with a medium-firm feel that keeps the spine well-supported when lying face down.
- Sitting: the slight sinking feeling when sitting right on the edge is what we’ve come to expect from foam mattresses. Nothing overly offensive and can be mitigated by sitting back a little more.
One of the biggest challenges with shopping for foam mattresses is finding one that doesn’t sleep hot.
However, Saatva seems to be acutely aware of this and has taken steps in the Loom & Leaf to address it. Its patented gel-on-gel foam design is topped off with a cool, organic cotton woven cover to provide superior cooling. The inverted foam tip allows for greater airflow and circulation, while the cooling gel spinal layer is laminated for added cooling.
Overall then, breathability is top notch in this mattress, with the high-quality materials aiding in great air circulation and an all-over cool feel as you sleep.
Motion transfer while sleeping on the Loom & Leaf mattress can best be described as ‘non-existent’. Motion is perfectly isolated, resulting in sleep with zero disturbance, whether or not your partner moves about.
With motion minimized, both partners can rest easily and get a good night’s sleep.
The Loom & Leaf mattress was introduced to the market in 2015, so there is understandably little data available on long-term use and durability.
The life expectancy of a quality mattress is usually expected to be in the region of 5-10 years; the Loom & Leaf estimate theirs at 10 – 15 years, and its limited warranty lasts for 15 years.
While it’s difficult to know for sure how it will perform over time, the high-quality materials used in its construction and the 5-years longer warranty than most of its competitors should instil buyer confidence that it will last well in the years ahead.
The edge support on the Loom & Leaf is about as weak as for other foam mattresses reviewed.
Typically weaker structurally than innerspring mattresses, foam mattresses can leave you with the overwhelming feeling that you may roll off. With the Loom & Leaf, this wasn’t an issue when it came to sleeping near the edge but the sinking feeling became more apparent when sitting there. Sitting back a little further seemed to fix this problem and it then became a moot point.
The Sleep Scouts Standout Feature
A luxurious mattress that conforms beautifully to the body, while relieving pressure points and providing a cooling sleep for all sleeping positions.
The Loom & Leaf clocks in at a higher price-point than the other mattresses we’ve ordered online but it’s still considerably less than what you’d pay for a similar standard mattress in a brick and mortar store.
Mattresses, by nature, are an investment. But with its quality foams and gel-on-gel design, the Loom & Leaf is almost guaranteed to give the majority of sleepers a comfortable and cool night’s rest well into the future.
Of course, the two firmness levels offered also provide more choice than the average mattress ordered online, allowing just a little more ‘customization’ to personal preferences.
Did you know…?
Pope Francis used the ‘relaxed firm’ version of the Loom & Leaf mattress during his 2015 visit to North America?
“We are humbled and honored to be called to serve the Pope by providing him with healthy comfort …t he luxury mattress he slept on is fit for a king and for the everyday person too.”
Ron Rudzin, CEO of Saatva.
Bottom Line: Who Should Buy This Mattress?
With the Loom & Leaf, Saatva has produced a top-quality mattress on a par with those you would find in a high-end mattress store: premium materials, numerous foam layers, and advanced cooling technology make this a serious competitor to memory foam market leaders like Tempur-Pedic.
The ‘green’ materials used in its multiple layers and the extra option of a ‘relaxed-firm’ or ‘firm’ mattress show that the company has put a lot of thought into producing a mattress that will suit the majority.
Individuals who prefer either a medium-firm or firm mattress, while enjoying pressure relief and a cool, comfortable sleep won’t be disappointed.
The no-hassle purchasing process, generous returns policy, and the 120-night trial period, make it easy to see why Saatva is considered one of the best online mattress companies around.
Loom & Leaf’s slightly higher price than its closest competitors can be justified, as it should be considered a long-term investment that will provide great sleep, night after night, for many years.
Final Say: This is a luxurious mattress and a Sleep Scouts favourite.
Frequently Asked Questions
The Loom & Leaf mattress is covered by a 15-year limited warranty. This applies to any of the standard defects and deterioration that do not result from improper use or handing.
Details of the warranty:
- For the first 2 years of the 15 year non-prorated warranty, The Saatva Company will replace your Loom & Leaf with a brand new Loom & Leaf at absolutely no charge to you if deemed defective. In years 3-15, The Saatva Company will completely repair and re-cover your Loom & Leaf with the only charge to you being transportation costs of $99 each way. Absolutely no other charges.
- Separately, and solely at your option, The Saatva Company offers the unprecedented “Fairness Replacement Option” should your bed be deemed defective. There are too many conflicts and arguments between mattress stores and their customers as to determining actual defects. It’s unfair to you and the “Fairness Replacement Option” has completely eliminated any warranty issue being a hassle for you. Here is how it works:
- Under all circumstances, if you are choosing the “Fairness Replacement Option,” YOU GET TO KEEP YOUR ORIGINAL MATTRESS. If you choose, instead of us repairing you Loom & Leaf in year 3-5, we will deliver and install a brand new Loom & Leaf mattress for only 25% of the original price you paid. Within years 6 to 10, we will replace your Loom & Leaf for only 50% of the original price you paid and years 11 to 15, we will replace your Loom & Leaf for only 75% of the original price you paid. The only other fee is the delivery charge of $99; and remember YOU KEEP YOUR ORIGINAL MATTRESS, be it for another room in your home, a family member or friend, or to donate to the charity of your choice.
- Your warranty remains valid if the mattress has been used on a platform bed. If you are using a metal frame, the warranty shall be void if the foundation is not supported by a 5- or 6-legged metal bed frame on Queen or King size. Queen and King size frames must have a vertical center support. If you have a Full or Twin size bed, your warranty will be valid with the use of a 4-legged metal frame.
- Warranty does not apply if bedding has been burned or otherwise abused or damaged.
- Your Loom & Leaf by Saatva warranty is valid only to the original purchaser.
- In order to provide the most optimum sleeping surface, this premium product contains only the finest quality materials. As with all premium sleep products, certain body conformity adaptations will take place as your mattress adjusts to your particular body shape. This is to be expected and is part of the performance of your mattress. The mattress cover and normal body impressions (not greater than ¾”) are not covered by the warranty.
- Consumer must notify The Saatva Company in writing of any claims.
From the day you receive your Loom & Leaf mattress, you will have 120 days to sleep on it before deciding if you wish to keep it.
If, after the trial period, you are unsatisfied with the mattress, Loom & Leaf will pick it up and refund your purchase price, excluding the original delivery charge.
Coupons & Discounts
- None at this time.
- General information – http://www.loomandleaf.com/mattress.html
- Delivery information – http://www.loomandleaf.com/delivery.html
- Warranty information – http://www.loomandleaf.com/warranty.html
- FAQs information – http://www.loomandleaf.com/faq.html
- Brochure information – http://www.loomandleaf.com/ll/loomandleafbrochure.pdf
The following sets of ratings cover our own assessment of the product and the company, and also provide a guideline for key third-party ratings for the product.
Loom & Leaf Mattress Review